If you are going to travel on your own terms, you are going to need some help getting yourself organized. This list of resources is designed to help you plan, pack and travel efficiently.
(most of these links are sponsored content. If you click on one of the affiliate links (like from Amazon) and purchase, it won’t cost you any extra but I will get a small commission.)
Packing Lists & Gear
- The Ultra Light Packing list
- Packing list to Serve Both Hiking & Sightseeing
- Packing list for a warm weather trip
- Best Travel Gear for the Carry-On Traveler
- Use Trip Advisor for researching and booking activities. The forums for great for asking specific questions.
- Even though I’ve disobeyed Rick Steves all over Europe, his guides are useful for travel planning. As are the Lonely Planet guides the rest of the world.
- I’m happy to try to help you as well, comment on a post, contact me or like the Wayfaring Views Facebook page.
- Skyscanner and Google’s ITA Matrix are both great for searching a wide selection of fares and finding deals.
- Stay local with an AirBnB. You can get $40 off your first booking by using this link.
- For booking hotels in the US you should price shop using an site like Hotels.com but also check the hotel’s website as they sometimes offer unadvertised discounts or packages.
- Use Booking.com when booking into Europe, South America or as a price comparison to Hotels.com.
- And Agoda.com is good for Asia.
- My sweetspot is smaller guesthouses and B&Bs. But they often don’t list on the big sites. You can find them through Trip Advisor and then book there, or link through to the inn’s website.
Protecting Your Travel Investment
- Allianz Travel Insurance offers travel insurance. I have their annual plan but they also offer reasonably priced plans for individual trips.
Data Protection and Privacy
- Bypass prying censorship (in some countries) and potential data theft (anywhere) by using a VPN (virtual private network). Learn more about them here and get a 30-day free trial here.
Sites with Useful Travel Tips
- Too Many Adapters will give you great advice on travel tech, SIM cards and accessories.
- Secret Traveller blog offers info on the best kept travel secrets and it puts a unique spin on traveling.
- Women Who Travel is an active Facebook group where you can ask questions and get inspired to explore new destinations.
- Boarding Area is a compilation of blogs that will give you advice on how to leverage credit cards and mileage awards to stretch your travel dollar.