The Bahamas vs Hawaii is a very common destination among travel enthusiasts. Both are known for their beautiful beaches and their laid-back lifestyle which is very attractive to tourists.
If you’re having trouble deciding between the two for your next vacation, I invite you to check out this review so you can decide with ease. Let’s get started!
Both Hawaii and the Bahamas are one of the most popular places for families and couples on honeymoon. They have their own specialties, such as the pink sand beaches of Harbour Island in the Bahamas or the green sand beaches of Hawaii.
Also, Bahamian and Hawaiian cultures are one of the many reasons why tourists choose to go to these breathtaking locations. However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Continue reading to learn about the food, the housing, and other features which make both of these locations the place to go.
Comparison – A Quick Look
This table provides a quick overview comparing both the Bahamas and Hawaii:
Categories of comparison
The optimal time to visit
1-week visit expense
Mid-range to Luxurious
Budget-friendly to Luxurious
For family vacation
Recommended reading: Is the Bahamas Part of the US: Check Bahamas Status Right Now!
Overview and Location of the Bahamas
The Bahamas is a group of islands in the Lucayan Archipelago, part of the West Indies, in the North of the Atlantic Ocean. It is located 313 miles southeast of the state of Florida in the United States.
- Population: About 400,000 people call the islands home, and 70% of them are under the age of 50.
- Nature: The cleanest water on Earth may be found in this area, which is spread out across 100,000 square miles of ocean and has 700 islands and over 2,000 rocks and cays.
- Resorts: The famed Paradise Island, where the Atlantis resort and casino are located, is accessible from Nassau by a bridge.
You can choose to travel there either on a cruise ship or by air.
Overview and Location of Hawaii
The island of Hawaii, part of the Polynesian area of the Pacific Ocean, is the 50th and last U.S. state. It is the most remote island group in the world, located more than 2,000 miles from the nearest land.
Hawaii is really unique place with a total population of 1.4 million:
- Ethnicity: 70% of whom identify as Christians, and the biggest concentration of Asian Americans in any US state.
- Languages: Although English and Hawaiian are the official languages, some locals also use a pidgin English variant based on Hawai’i Creole.
- Islands: Over 130 islands comprise this 1,500-mile chain. Honolulu, the capital, is located on O’ahu. Hawai’i is the state’s namesake and the biggest island.
You can get to Hawaii by taking a flight to its airports in Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. If you are traveling from the West Coast of the US you can also take a boat which will take you around 5 days of travel to reach Hawaii.
Recommended reading: 30 Insanely Useful Small Travel Gifts
The Bahamas vs Hawaii: Why Are They Famous?
Both of them provide luxurious beaches, excellent scuba diving, and a teeming underwater world. Each region’s pricing, facilities, and most famous features are shaped by its unique history, local culture, landmass, and position. Let’s take a look:
Why is The Bahamas Famous?
The Bahamas are a group of more than 700 tropical islands and more than 2,400 smaller islands known as cays.
- Beautiful waters: The turquoise seas, swimming pigs, and long history of pirates in the Bahamas set it apart.
- Luxury: It is a popular vacation destination for tourists who are looking for an expensive vacation due to its abundance of exclusive private islands, five-star hotels, and other opulent establishments.
- Cruise ships: Over thirty cruise ships visit the ports of the Bahamas annually, making it simpler than ever to plan a vacation on the high seas.
- Cuisine: The local cuisine includes dishes made with conch (conch salad, conch stew, conch burgers, and more!), crawfish, guava, Bahamian rock lobster, and other seafood.
You can also watch this video of their yummy dishes.
Why is Hawaii Famous?
Hawaii is likewise well-known for its beautiful islands.
Tourists who visit them receive a great deal in the way of thrilling on-land activities and attractions which are the following:
- Scenery: It is home to lush tropical forests, numerous plant and animal species, and no fewer than six active volcanoes. There is also a thriving surf culture in Hawaii.
- Water sports: However, there are many common water-based pursuits, such as fishing, snorkeling, and swimming.
- Seafood: The regular catches of local fishermen make sushi and other seafood meals commonplace.
- Culture: Naturally, Hawaiian culture, dress, and hula dancing are well-known all throughout the world, so many tourists stop over to watch a performance or learn more about the art form.
Where Can You Find The Best Beaches and Scenery?
The Bahamas and Hawaii both boast some of the globe’s finest landscapes. However, their scenery is very distinct. Let’s take a look at how they differ.
The Beaches and Scenery of Hawaii
Hawaiian beaches are well-known for their easygoing atmosphere, beautiful green sand beaches, and status as the cradle of the surfing culture. But what really sets Hawaii apart as a tourist attraction is its mountainous interior, which is home to rainforests, waterfalls, and active volcanoes.
- Hiking: The terrain of Hawaii was so remarkable that it was utilized as a setting in the film Jurassic Park. Moreover, the state is home to innumerable hiking trails and some of the United States’ greatest national parks.
- Tall peaks: The highest point in Hawaii is 4,207 meters high compared to the Bahamas’ tallest point which is only 63 meters high.
- Opulent beaches: Gold Rock Beach features beautiful sand and water. The beach can get crowded with cruisers but is a great prize at the end of the short, humid hike through Lucayan National Park.
- Beautiful waters: Hawaii’s shoreline and stunning beaches are fantastic spots for snorkeling and scuba diving. It offers plenty of beautiful bays and lagoons where you may swim among sea turtles.
- Surfing: In the winter, the waves of Waimea Bay may reach heights of 30 feet, making it an ideal destination for the world’s greatest and boldest surfers.
Check out this video to get insights into the breathtaking locations of Hawaii.
The Beaches and Scenery of The Bahamas
If you’d rather spend your time tanning and relaxing and less time trekking, the Bahamas are the place for you.
- Paradise: Like in your Caribbean paradise fantasies, you can drink cocktails at five-star resorts overlooking pristine dunes and crystal blue sea.
- Sunshine: If you enjoy tanning and sunbathing, the Bahamas is for you, as it experiences an astonishing 340 days of sunshine every year.
- Diverse locations: If you’re prepared to put in the time and energy, you may still locate pristine and scarcely frequented beaches in the Bahamas, such as on the Out Islands. You can also enjoy some hiking trails on the Grand Bahama island.
- Fantastic beaches: This country is made up of an infinite amount of beautiful beaches, lagoons, and caves scattered across 655,000 square kilometers.
- Water sports: When it comes to snorkeling and scuba diving, the Bahamas are among the top locations in the world. The crystal-clear waters around the islands are largely responsible for this.
- Marine life: You may have a fantastic time swimming everywhere in the Bahamas, but Exumas Cays Land and Sea Park are especially ideal for seeing marine life.
Summary: The Bahamas is a better option than the beaches in Hawaii due to its stunning and distinctive shoreline. However, if you enjoy trekking in the mountains, Hawaii can be a great choice too.
Bahamas vs Hawaii: Significant Landmarks
There are plenty of islands to explore in the Bahamas and Hawaii so picking one might be a challenge. Therefore, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that many individuals engage in island hopping. Thus, choosing which ones to view is crucial. Let’s dive into further details:
Significant Landmarks in The Bahamas
There are so many islands in the Bahamas that providing a comprehensive list would be next to impossible. Instead, I’ll name a handful to provide a sense of the variety of attractions available:
- Nassau: It is the place to go if you want to let loose and enjoy a good time. The numerous upscale nightclubs, huge bars, and seafood joints fuel the city’s vibrant nightlife. The most well-known hotel in the Bahamas, Atlantis, is located there as well.
- Harbour Island: Celebrity sightings are common on Harbour Island. This is because of Dunmore Town’s charming pastel buildings and the island’s pink sands beach on the east coast.
- Conception Island: For those seeking solitude, an all-day excursion to the isolated island is a terrific option.
Significant Landmarks in Hawaii
Hawaii is renowned for its tropical islands, all of which have tourist hotspots. You are going to have a wonderful time there no matter which island you choose to visit.
The Hawaiian islands of Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai receive the most visitors, followed by Lanai and Molokai. Let’s see what they have to offer:
- Honolulu: Pearl Harbor National Memorial and Honolulu, Hawaii’s capital, are two of the island’s most recognizable landmarks. But if you ask me, the best way to see Hawaii is to get away from the crowds of tourists on Waikiki Beach and head to less crowded areas like the North Shore.
- Hawaii Island: it is the youngest and largest of the Hawaiian Islands. Kilauea and Mauna Loa, its active volcanoes, are major draws for visitors. There are also several beaches there, each with its own unique hue.
- Haleakala Volcano: Haleakala, a breathtaking volcano in Maui, may be driven there for breathtaking vistas, as can the Road to Hana.
Summary: Honestly, I love both locations as they have stunning attractions and landmarks. So, I will call it a draw.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Accommodation
The Bahamas have more expensive accommodation rates than Hawaii. Hostels, inexpensive to mid-range hotels, guesthouses, and resorts are all options for visitors to Hawaii. Luxury hotels and resorts are plentiful in the Bahamas.
Depending on your travel needs and budget, you can select between a Villa, Hotel, or Resort for a relaxing stay. Let’s dive in and find the best places to stay!
Housing Conditions in The Bahamas
Atlantis, Paradise Island is the largest and most well-known resort in The Bahamas, and it offers all-inclusive vacation packages. Some features include:
- An excellent golf course
- Las Vegas–style casino in addition to its five miles of gorgeous beaches.
You may also indulge in 5-star comfort at a resort like Andros Island’s Kamalame Cay Private Resort, where nightly rates may reach $700. Hostels are also available for those on a tighter budget, with prices starting at $35 per night on most of the islands.
Important! Remember that even a three-star hotel might cost over $100 per night, so plan accordingly.
Housing Conditions in Hawaii
Budget travelers may find affordable lodging in Hawaii, with dorm rooms going for as little as $30 per night and mid-range hotels beginning at $75.
On the other spectrum of price points, The Four Seasons Hualalai Resort is only one example of the many five-star hotels in Hawaii. It offers:
- Eagle ray-filled lagoon
- PGA-level golf course
- Complimentary water-sports experts
Island hopping is another option worth considering, especially because Hawaii is so small. It’s easy to find island-hop packages for under $3,500 per person that include four days on Oahu, Kauai, and Maui.
Summary: If you prefer a more luxurious stay, the Bahamas is for you while Hawaii will provide a slightly more affordable stay.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Cuisine
If you consider yourself a foodie, you won’t go hungry in either the Bahamas or Hawaii. Let’s check out what kind of food they have to offer.
The conch, the flesh of sea snails known for its chewy texture, is a staple of traditional Bahamian cuisine. It is served in many different ways:
- Conch salad: Most basic is probably conch salad, which consists of diced conch, chopped green peppers, and chopped tomatoes in a sauce made of fresh lime, lemon, and orange juice.
- Conch burgers: You can further eat it in soup and even in the form of conch burgers.
- Seafood: Fish like grouper, snapper, and rock lobster are also available, and they can be boiled in foil or fried and eaten alongside a calypso sauce.
- Dining out: ‘Fish fries,’ often a cluster of brightly painted wooden shacks in a central area, such as Goldie’s on Arawak Cay, are the ideal places to sample these regional specialties.
Now let’s speak about dessert: Guava Duff, a boiled pastry stuffed with sugary guava paste and topped by a creamy rum sauce. The most well-known type of rum cake is Tortuga, and it is usually available.
Taro, which is related to the yam, is the primary ingredient in most Hawaiian dishes.
- Delicacy: Poi is a starchy and somewhat sour paste made from steamed or baked root, and fish is a popular addition.
- Laulau: Taro leaves are used to prepare laulau, a dish consisting of pork that has been cooked slowly in a subterranean oven until it is tender and infused with a smokey flavor.
- Exotic fruits: Don’t leave Hawaii without sampling some pineapple or passionfruit. This pairs particularly well with crushed ice and vodka thanks to the island of Maui’s rich volcanic soil.
- Desserts: Waialua Estate’s outstanding chocolate is cultivated entirely on volcanic soil, so if you have a sweet craving, you must visit Oahu.
Summary: Both cuisines are tasty and fantastic. If you love seafood then the Bahamas would be the favorite, but if you like exotic fruits and desserts then you can’t beat Hawaii.
Activities and Adventures in the Islands of the Bahamas
There are many fun activities you can take part in in the Bahamas. Let’s look at some exciting ones.
1. Swim and Snorkel
Being a popular beach vacation spot, everything there revolves around the ocean. The waters here are quite popular for scuba diving and snorkeling. Discover the Andros Barrier Reef and the Bimini islands, home of the world-famous Dean’s blue hole.
2. Shark Diving
Tiger Beach, Eleuthera, and the Crater are three of the best places in the Bahamas to go shark diving.
3. Wreck Diving
While there are numerous excellent destinations for shipwreck enthusiasts, some of the most well-known include Tears of Allah in Nassau and the SS Sapona wreckage.
Activities and Adventures in Hawaii
There are many fun activities you can take part in in Hawaii. Let’s look at some exciting ones.
Surfing in Hawaii is iconic across the world. Many surfers travel to Hawaii just for the waves. There is a surf spot out there for everyone, whether you’re a seasoned pro or just getting your feet wet.
2. Scuba Dive and Snorkel
Scuba divers of all ages may explore the underwater environment on islands like Maui, Kauai, and Lanai, and may even see rare species like the green sea turtles or Hawaiian monk seal.
3. Enjoy the Old Lahaina Luau Dance
Having a mesmerizing dance accompany the tale is an experience you won’t find anywhere else. An exquisite traditional ritual that perfectly portrays Hawaii’s mystical essence.
4. Chase Waterfalls
Stunning waterfalls may be seen all across Hawaii. They are a treasure that may be found on every island. Visitors on nature paths often stop here to have a refreshing swim in the falling water.
5. Hike the Stunning Mountains
Among the numerous cherished routes, those in Volcanoes National Park, Makapuu Lighthouse, and Waimea Canyon State Park stand out as some of the best.
Summary: In my opinion, Hawaii has more diverse activities like hiking and cultural dancing shows for you to choose from and enjoy.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Which Has the Better Nightlife?
Both are well known for having an exciting nightlife. However, the question is how do they compare? Let’s find out.
The nightlife in the Bahamas will be unique. You may tour the fantastic nightclubs, casinos, pubs, and waterfront celebrations in a casual outfit. The best spots are Atlantis Casino, Rum Runners, Bones Bar, Xscape lounge, Miss Emily’s Blue beer bar, Aura, and Volume music bar.
Oahu is one of the most frequented islands in Hawaii and is known for its abundance of exciting nightlife options. Waikiki, Honolulu, and Chinatown all have exciting bar and club scenes. Sunset sailing, Waikiki fireworks, stargazing, and traditional Luau performances are just some of the alternatives to the nightlife scene.
Some of the other best spots are Rumtar, Zanzabar, Mai Tai, Wang Chung, Honolulu city lights.
Summary: In my opinion, Hawaii has a livelier and more exciting nightlife than the Bahamas due to more options and several cultural events.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Which is the Best For Shopping?
If you’re a shopper, you’ll love Hawaii. It has upscale retail centers as well as flea markets, so there’s something for everybody. Stop through the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, the Maui Crafts Guild, and the open-air Ala Moana retail center while in Honolulu.
There are a variety of shopping options in the Bahamas, from quaint shops to bustling outdoor markets in Nassau. Nassau Straw Market, Marina Village, and Bay Street are Three Great Shopping Areas
Summary: While both Hawaii and the Bahamas have excellent retail options, Hawaii is the winner.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Culture Compared
Hawaii and the Bahamas have more to offer than just beautiful scenery and relaxing beaches. Both are rich in history and culture, and there is excellent cuisine and a vibrant culinary scene to explore.
The Bahamas possesses a rich and vibrant cultural heritage. It’s resulting from a harmonious blend of predominantly African origins along with subtle elements of British and American influences. The people are known for their hospitability and lively hearts.
Let’s explore Bahamian culture below:
- Nassau, the country’s capital, is home to the Heritage Museum of the Bahamas where you can get acquainted with the life of the Lucayan people and the era of slavery.
- You can immerse yourself in the rhythm of a Bahamian party called Junkanoo. Months of hard work go into this one night of music, dancing, and friendly competition. Costumes are made, and late-night sessions are held.
- The straw work, wood carvings, and vibrant paintings showcase local artistry including ceramics and plywood sculptures.
You can also watch this video review for a better understanding of the cultures.
One of the significant reasons you ought to visit Hawaii is to immerse yourself in the local culture. You’ll discover a wide variety of entertaining and educational cultural excursions to partake in on these islands. These have ranked among the world’s most culturally significant destinations.
- When visiting the Hawaiian Islands, visitors just must participate in some of the local rituals, such as wearing a lei, dancing the hula, and attending a luau.
- The traditional Hawaiian feast known as a luau sometimes includes the slow roasting of a whole pig.
- This above-mentioned feast is more than just a meal; it’s an entire celebration with music, dancing, and more.
Bahamas vs Hawaii: Which Place is Cleaner?
Overall, Hawaii is a really tidy destination to visit. However, Some areas do have unsanitary. Despite that, Honolulu and the Kahului-Wailuku-Lahaina region are two of the cleanest places you can visit on the island.
After the hurricane, the water in the Bahamas became polluted, therefore hygiene is a minor issue there. So planning a visit there should be put on hold between June and November. Aside from that, there are some really unsanitary spots among the otherwise pristine tourist traps.
Summary: When the two islands’ levels of cleanliness are compared, Hawaii is clearly the winner.
Is Hawaii Safer or The Bahamas?
Visitor safety in Hawaii is high. But be on the lookout, especially at night, when strolling through city parks or other empty locations. Be careful not to walk about with fancy equipment and other valuables.
Tourists go to the Bahamas because it is a safe destination. However, robberies do occur, and the danger is higher in tourist hotspots like Grand Bahama and Freeport. I advise you to use caution, especially in busy locations.
Summary: Hawaii is the safer destination of the 2.
Hawaii vs Bahamas: Comparing the Weather
It is very important to check the weather forecast as well as the season in which you are planning to travel. Let’s see how you can plan a trip in the perfect weather:
The Bahamas have their dry season between January to June and their wet season between July to December.
- Expect between 8 and 10 inches of rainfall every month throughout the rainy season, with afternoon thunderstorms being the norm.
- The stormy reputation of the Bahamian islands is well-deserved, given their proximity to the water; visitors are advised to pack appropriately.
- Annually, temperatures average between 66 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Despite the possibility, hurricanes are rather rare in the Bahamas.
Like many other tropical locations, Hawaii has both rainy and dry seasons.
- Wet months are between November and March, and dry months are between April and October.
- Temperatures range from around 65°F to 85°F throughout the year, with August being the warmest. June, July, and September have the lowest average monthly rainfall and the highest average monthly temperature.
- I will suggest that if it is raining where you are, chances are good that there is a dry portion of the island you may go to. Rainstorms in Hawaii also don’t seem to persist very long.
Summary: Although rare, hurricanes do seem to be a bigger problem in the Bahamas than in Hawaii, so Hawaii has the better weather in my opinion.
The Optimal Time to Visit Hawaii and The Bahamas
These locations may seem like heaven on earth, however, there are some times of the year when you should avoid traveling there. For more details, read on!
Wetter conditions and potential hurricanes are more common from June through November. Check the forecast frequently and think about getting travel insurance if you must go to the Bahamas at this time.
Its tropical environment makes it accessible all 12 months. Hawaii does not actually have an off-season due to its year-round warm weather, mild rainfall, and thriving industry.
Hawaii vs The Bahamas: Which Currency Do They Use?
Here is an insight into the currency:
- The United States dollar is the currency of use in Hawaii, while the Bahamian dollar is the currency of the Bahamas.
- It is interchangeable with the American dollar as it has the same value.
- In addition to Bahamian dollars, American dollars can also be used to make payments.
Bahamas vs Hawaii: Cost of Visit Compared
One must consider the budget before making any travel arrangements. Knowing that both the Bahamas and Hawaii are widely regarded as top-tier luxury travel destinations, which one is more pocket-friendly?
The costs of visiting here, including travel, lodging, dining, and shopping, are surprisingly low. A weeklong vacation in Hawaii for a couple might cost anything from $2800 to $6000.
Itis quite expensive and considered a luxurious travel destination. For a couple a week in the Bahamas can start from $3000 and can go above $8000 if you include the additional cost of food, sightseeing, and lodging in a luxury hotel.
Summary: Hawaii is a more affordable destination to visit.
Are the Bahamas more expensive than Hawaii?
Yes, the Bahamas is more expensive to visit than Hawaii.
Is Hawaii or the Bahamas better?
Hawaii or the Bahamas, both are good options. It is down to personal preference as two offer an amazing yet different experience.
What is the difference between Hawaii and the Bahamas?
Hawaii has more cultural and varied activities for you to take part in if that is your thing, while the Bahamas is a destination to choose if you prefer relaxing on white sand beaches instead.
Read Also: Find Your Chill Zone on the 4 Best La Paz Beaches
Whichever destination you decide on, I’m sure you’ll have an unforgettable experience.
If you’re looking for peaceful, glorious beaches and sunny skies, I recommend the Bahamas over Hawaii; just be prepared to spend a pretty penny.
But if you have an eye for the place of origin of surfing and a location packed with adventure and culture for a lower price, go no further than Hawaii. It is exceptional everywhere, not just on the shore.
Share information with your friends about these two beautiful places: